The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Royal Tour of Canada & California pt 2

Started by Jenee, June 28, 2011, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

The other thread is getting a little big, and the tour is about to start, so lets get a fresh place to comment!

Here's an Interactive Map of all the places they will visit on their tour!

For part 1, click here
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

CanRoyal

Canada has 2 official languages - English & French.  It will be interesting to see how well William speaks it (I understand he will be giving a speech in French during this tour.).  I wonder if Catherine speaks any French, but if she doesn't, she will likely learn it.  I've heard HM places great value on speaking the language.

I've never heard William's father speak the language (but of course he does) and HM speaks French fluently. 

cinrit

^^ Kate is said to have been taking lessons in French.  :)

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

blackprincess92

oooh...i wish i was her in that moment so i would at least have a chance of speaking french in public speech-wise...

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

CanRoyal

Quote from: cinrit on June 28, 2011, 08:34:28 PM
^^ Kate is said to have been taking lessons in French.  :)

Cindy

I'm not surprised. :D 

It did make me wonder about Camilla though.  A quick Googlization (madeup word, of course) of Camilla's abilities in languages reveals that she does, indeed, speak French.

Sandra Dee

What time do they leave? Are they close to departing yet?  :pics:

cinrit

QuoteNorth America Eagerly Awaits William and Kate

Prince William of Wales and his bride, Catherine, the newly minted Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, arrive in North America on Thursday, headed first to Canada and then to Southern California on an 11-day tour, their first overseas assignment since their glittering nuptials April 29.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2011-06-28-william-kate-north-america-royal-visit_n.htm   

Cindy

wannable

QuoteA NEW flag to be used by Prince William and his wife Kate on their tour of Canada was unveiled by the Commonwealth country's government today.
It is William's personal flag in Canada, combining royal and Canadian symbols and featuring his personal cypher - a W topped by a coronet -surrounded by a wreath of golden maple leaves and can only be flown when he is present.

It also features a red shell from his coat of arms in a reference to his late mother Princess Diana.

The flag, which takes precedence over the Canadian national one, will be flown when he and Kate arrive in Ottawa tomorrow at the start of their first overseas tour.

Until now, only the Queen has been the only royal to have a personal flag in Canada. Hers was created in 1962. But the Canadians also unveiled a flag for Prince Charles today featuring his three feathers symbol.   

willskate4ever

Quote from: wannabe on June 29, 2011, 05:30:21 PM
QuoteA NEW flag to be used by Prince William and his wife Kate on their tour of Canada was unveiled by the Commonwealth country's government today.
It is William's personal flag in Canada, combining royal and Canadian symbols and featuring his personal cypher - a W topped by a coronet -surrounded by a wreath of golden maple leaves and can only be flown when he is present.

It also features a red shell from his coat of arms in a reference to his late mother Princess Diana.

The flag, which takes precedence over the Canadian national one, will be flown when he and Kate arrive in Ottawa tomorrow at the start of their first overseas tour.

Until now, only the Queen has been the only royal to have a personal flag in Canada. Hers was created in 1962. But the Canadians also unveiled a flag for Prince Charles today featuring his three feathers symbol.   

Thanks wannabe!

Picture of the flag...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/06/29/prince-william-gets-personal-flag-for-canadian-royal-tour-115875-23235984/

blackprincess92

so are they flying by private to canada then leaving by commercial when the tour is completely finished?

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

wannable

From twitter

http://c0013839.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_6dfc18f
Caption: The landau (horse-drawn carriage) that will carry William & Kate on the Hill does a practice run #royaltour
06/29/2011 via UberSocial

CanRoyal

Well that's a bit of a surprise - and the Prince of Wales 'afterthought' flag is a bit of an eyebrow raiser and :hehe:

Many Americans don't get the Canadian connection to the British Royals or but basically the Royals have a huge stake in Canada remaining in the Commonwealth.  Cinrit recently posted an excellent article from The Telegraph - that was reprinted from the Canadian Globe & Mail - which pretty much sums it up for us Canadians.

sara8150

I heard that the couples will interview with Piers Morgan im not sure when date will be but they says will interview when the couples in america..

i cant wait

blackprincess92

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

cinrit

I've heard that Piers Morgan would like to interview them, but I haven't heard that he will.

Cindy

Sandra Dee

Can someone countdown to when they leave, please? I'm afraid I have no idea(I'm not really reading everything, I just want to know :P )

wannable

^They will be arriving tomorrow.   

Official site, itinerary  http://www.royaltour.gc.ca/itiner/itiner-index-eng.cfm

Detailed schedule of Thursday, June 30, 2011

QuoteItinerary for 2011 Royal Tour

Thursday, June 30 - Ottawa, Ontario
2:00 p.m. (EDT)

Arrival in Canada
Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive at the Canada Reception Centre in the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport where they are greeted according to Canadian custom and protocol.

2:35 p.m.
Laying of a Wreath at the National War Memorial – *Public Event*
Location Details
In a wreath-laying ceremony, Their Royal Highnesses pay respect to Canadians who served our nation and paid the ultimate sacrifice, from the First World War to current missions, in the name of peace and freedom.

3:15 p.m.   
Official Welcome Ceremony to Canada – *Public Event*
Location Details
At Rideau Hall, the Governor General and the Prime Minister officially welcome Their Royal Highnesses to Canada and the National Capital Region.  This event features full military honours including a 21-gun salute.

6:00 p.m.   
Celebration of Youth Barbecue Reception
Their Royal Highnesses recognize Canadian youth who, through dedicated service both at home and abroad, are building a better Canada.   

California

QuoteYes, Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, wife of Prince William, and future queen of England has a serious girl crush on Angelina Jolie. Kate was absolutely beside herself with excitement. Unfortunately, the movers and shakers had bad news. Jolie had a schedule problem. Conflicting prior work commitments will prevent her from flying into Hollywood even to meet the royals. Kate was inconsolable.

Much like her storybook romance with Prince William, however, the story of Kate Middleton's obsession with Angelina Jolie had a happy ending. Jolie herself called Kate personally to offer her apologies. She also offered to meet with Prince William and Kate later in the year in London. Reportedly, Kate's reply was an ecstatic:

"It would be my honor!"   

CanRoyal

Well, let's see...I'm on the West Coast of Canada and it's 7 in the evening here and Ottawa is 3 hours ahead ...

William & Kate arrive in 0ttawa at 2PM June 30 - which will be 11 am my time.  Now just a sec...have to go find the flying time of the Canadian Forces jet they're flying in on ...

Be right back... :runaway:

CanRoyal

Flight time is about 6 hours but because of the direction of travel...

QuoteAs per the inputs provided, the flight time or the hours of air travel required for a journey between London Heathrow Airport and Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport is 5 hours 59 minutes.
Departure Time : Thu, 30 Jun, 2011, 07:40 AM
Arrival Time : Thu, 30 Jun, 2011, 08:39 AM
If you haven't provided any addition information, the departure time is taken as the current time at London Heathrow Airport and the arrival time is the time at Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport at the time of your arrival there.

So...I think they're leaving London around noon tomorrow.  Your - and their - mileage may vary! - :laugh:

Maria5583

They leave in about 7 hours. I live in the same time zone as Ottawa (Eastern Time) and it takes 6 hours give or take to fly from London to Ottawa.

FanDianaFancy

Done. This RT  is  done before  it  ofiically began.
Yeah,  you  can  already  call  it.
W-K will  do  wonderfully  well. They  will  get  big  crowds and  wow  govt.  officials, entertainers, their  subjects/citizens  of Canada  and  have many  entertainers-show biz types   in Santa  Barbara  ,CA mysteriously   out-of-town  if they are  not  on  the  guest  lists for K-W. Rather  ,oh  out of town rather than say,"wasn't  invited."
Shame.Shame.  LOL!!!
W-K  will  complete this tour  of  Canada  for  England hitting  all  the  right  marks. Style. Personality. Clothes. Smiles. Talk. Gestures. Walk-abouts.  All done  Perfect A+.
SB, CA is  just  fun  and  they   will do  well.

(I mean  by  jsut fun  as  in  the USA is  not  part  or Commonwealth  of TUKofGB.)

Sandra Dee

So, we will get to see the first pictures of them leaving in about 6 hours.

CanRoyal

^ Maybe an hour or so earlier - they are not flying commercial.