The Tudors Part 2

Started by TLLK, July 06, 2023, 12:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Charles Brandon was the brother-in-law of King Henry VIII of England.

LouisFerdinand

Sketch of Queen Elizabeth I of England by Crispijn van de Passe
   http://www.pinterest.com/pin/155303887994866417

LouisFerdinand

Maria de Salinas was a loyal friend of Queen Catherine of Aragon.

LouisFerdinand

Seven women who did not marry King Henry VIII of England   

Blue Clover

It is great to have a Tudors section. I never tire of learning more and more.

LouisFerdinand

Catherine Parr: The Queen who did so much more than survive King Henry VIII

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII's father King Henry VII was a descendant of King Edward III of England.   
King Henry VIII's mother Princess Elizabeth of York was a descendant of King Edward III of England.   
How inbred was King Henry VIII of England?   

LouisFerdinand

Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I of England was auctioned at Christie's.

LouisFerdinand

Missing portrait of King Henry VIII found   

LouisFerdinand

The Queenship of Elizabeth of York   

LouisFerdinand

Arthur Tudor: The king who never was   

Curryong

I think that Anne was probably flirtatious with Mark Seaton but, with all those Ladies of the Bedchamber constantly around I doubt she committed adultery with anyone. She knew the dangers of doing such a thing to someone like Henry. As for love, nobody but Anne knows or is likely to ever know whether she truly loved him. He loved her, but in an obsessive way that such a man would, as something he couldn't possess for several years.

His position, as an all-powerful monarch in a way that is impossible to imagine nowadays, twisted all of Henry's relationships. This was especially true as he grew older and after his accident that left him with a leg ulcer that wouldn't heal. There were so many issues connecting Henry and Anne's relationship from the very beginning and the balance of power between them was extraordinarily one-sided the whole time.

Anne had so many things to consider that accompanied it all. Henry was a married man until he broke with Rome, much older than her and extremely persuasive as only very powerful men can be. She was determined that, unlike her sister Mary, she wasn't going to end up as a probably discarded mistress. She was probably quite attracted to this golden figure at the beginning, but it shouldn't be forgotten that she tried to leave Court at the beginning, but was prevented.

On the con side Anne could advance her family, always important in those days, and they provided their own pressure on her. As Queen she could, she believed, promote her religion, the Protestantism that meant so much to her. And perhaps she was a little in love with the status, the prestige that the role of Queen of England could give her. She believed, I think, that she would give Henry healthy sons and he would be pleased with her. Love for him though, I'm not so sure, and I don't think she recognised, until she was actually married to him and things started going wrong, exactly what living with a tyrant meant.

By then it was much too late, and she, a highly strung woman, reacted with panic (though I don't think she was unfaithful) and hysteria, unlike, say Katherine Parr later, who used her common sense, soothed her husband and ate humble pie when he was angry, saving herself from the execution block. But that's a story for another day.

LouisFerdinand

Ten Good Things about King Henry VIII