Sentebale's chief executive interviewed

Started by Stix Chix, February 24, 2010, 12:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale

Stix Chix, when I perused the Sentebale website, I got the impression that the big, big problem was the LCC.  They built the building, then it was burned down so they had to rebuild and then they were not forthcoming in their accounts and it was a woman who worked there who complained bitterly to the Daily Mail about having no funds. 

Sorry and I know it sounds as if I see conspiracies everywhere and perhaps I do, but I don't believe the burning of LCC was an accident.  I suspect that the LCC were attempting some fast practices and because the accounts were NOT forthcoming then naturally Sentabale couldn't release funds unless they received the correct paperwork and presented it to the Charities Commission over here.  Meantime, Sentebale HAD to pay admin costs whilst all they could do is wait and attempt to resolve the mess which was the LCC.

In the end Sentebale abandoned the LCC altogether and that way they hopefully shook of those involved with it.

I guess its easy for all of us who live in a country where there is far more accountability than there is likely to be in Lesotho which according to what I have read is one of the poorest countries in Africa.  I suspect that whilst most of the population welcome aid from foreigners there shall also inevitably be those who see foreigners as someone to take advantage of.

Still, despite all the headaches, the bad press and the stick to beat him with I have no doubt that 10 years from now when Sentabale is finally established Harry would have gained a great deal of experience in setting up this charity from zero.

Stix Chix

Quote from: Hale on February 25, 2010, 10:00:43 PM
Stix Chix, when I perused the Sentebale website, I got the impression that the big, big problem was the LCC.
yeah, its a real shame about that. :notamused: Harry volunteered there during his gap year and apparently it was one of the places that inspired him to create Sentebale.  i dont think they named the person from LCCU who was stealing the funds.  the report only said it was the Manager but it would be interesting to see if s/he was one of the people from LCCU who spoke to the Daily Mail.  if i'm mad at the person who stole the money i can only imagine how Harry feels about it.  some of it may very well have been money he raised himself.  the whole situation really sucks.  the kids at LCCU not only lost the stolen funds, they lost the thousands of dollars that Sentebale had put aside for them because of it....then they lost Sentebale's continuing financial support.  and Sentebale was bound by law to halt everything.

QuoteSorry and I know it sounds as if I see conspiracies everywhere and perhaps I do, but I don't believe the burning of LCC was an accident.  I suspect that the LCC were attempting some fast practices and because the accounts were NOT forthcoming
two fires i'm afraid. :doh:  one at the old building and one at the new one Sentebale built.  thankfully no one was hurt during either.  considering the news about the manager stealing funds it does make you wonder.  but i hope someone wouldn't stoop so low to burn down a children's charity. :thumbsdown:  it may very well have been an accident.  thatched roof, cooking over a fire, bad wiring, faulty machinery, kids running around....it could happen.  maybe even twice? :shrug:

i'm not sure about the time frame but i think it was a year or so between the fires and the funding issues.  had the missing funds come up before the new building was built in 2008 i dont think Sentebale would have paid for it.

QuoteIn the end Sentebale abandoned the LCC altogether and that way they hopefully shook of those involved with it.
last i heard they haven't. :happy:  they are keeping an eye on the kids and even called in a few other charities to provide the LCCU with food etc (rather then funds).  i wouldn't be surprised if Harry had a lot to do with that.  whatever the DM may say i think he'd doesn't like the idea of dropping the LCCU.  he volunteered there on gap year and helped to build the new building in 2008.  unless there is a law/rule blocking Sentebale to take back a charity which has misused funds i wouldn't be surprised if Sentebale and LCCU start working together again.

Harryite #0004

Hale

Stix Chix, your right about their being two different fires.

Here's the article I read about Sentabale & LCCU did I interpret it wrongly?  I assumed they went there seperate ways, or perhaps Sentebale are hoping that LCCU will get their act together.

http://www.sentebale.org/home/39642715.html

Stix Chix

Quote from: Hale on February 27, 2010, 01:23:22 AM
Here's the article I read about Sentabale & LCCU did I interpret it wrongly?  I assumed they went there separate ways, or perhaps Sentebale are hoping that LCCU will get their act together.
these quotes from that article are what i'm interpreting as Sentebale still being involved with LCCU if only as a monitor of the kids well being....

"The children of the LCCU continue to live in the facility that we built for them and we know that they receive funds from other donors."

"The children are still living in the well equipped new facility that we built for them and we are monitoring the situation."

i dont know what the rule might be about taking back a charity that's been dropped for misuse of funds.  i'm thinking the charity commission wouldn't be too thrilled with the idea.  but if there is no block and the person responsible is removed and the charity is willing to follow their side of the agreement then i wouldn't be surprised if LCCU gets taken back by Sentebale.

Harryite #0004

Hale

How mean spirited of the DM that they only appear to focus on LCCU.  Barring one article that is.