Sentebale saved from crisis by Lord Ashcroft donation

Started by Stix Chix, March 15, 2009, 09:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stix Chix

Prince Harry's charity saved from crisis by Lord Ashcroft donation --Telegraph
QuoteA senior source close to the trustees of Sentebale, which supports 15 other organisations in Lesotho, admitted that there had been a cash shortage problem last year. He said: "We had a couple of major fund-raising activities that we had to cancel last year. We got closer to running down our resources than we would have liked. We have brought in some new donors."

i wonder what had to be canceled?

Harryite #0004

Jenee

And why?

Its too bad to see Harry's charity struggling. I suppose he doesn't have much to do with it, other then the concept.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Stix Chix

^yes, why?  security i'd guess.  or the British or Lesotho government putting a halt on it or not giving permission for some reason.  EnduroAfrica went ahead anyway.  and that was the one that was supposed to have been full of security issues.  there is always this year for fundraisers though. ;)

Quote from: Jenee on March 15, 2009, 10:07:47 PM
Its too bad to see Harry's charity struggling. I suppose he doesn't have much to do with it, other then the concept.
i think he's as involved as he can be for now.  over the years we've gotten little tidbits of information about his contributions behind the scenes.  conference call meetings while he was at Sandhurst and his later military postings.  private meetings held at St James Palace and Clarence House.  private visits to Lesotho.  if you look at the website there are a few pix of him taken during this stuff that no papers ever ran or were given access too.

Harryite #0004

brittanylala

Could you imagine the media blood bath if Sentebale ever went under? :(

Stix Chix

^they'd love it.  :notamused:  if Sentebale is struggling i think the media can take some of the blame after all the supposed dirt they dish on it.  putting it about that the charity was buying office space instead of giving the money to the charities....failing to mention that the money for the office set up etc wasn't coming from public donations and putting their apology for the slander on the back page weeks later. :doh:

but all the smaller charities (which is most of them ;) ) struggle.  even if it was set up by a prince.  the recession probably isn't helping things either.

Harryite #0004

mediastar

Too much money is spent on bureaucracy and non-essentials. More went on a website than on projects last year. People will not want to give money to a charity where the money doesn't get through.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Stix Chix

^the bureaucracy worries me since it seems to stall giving the money to the charities.  but at the same time how much worse would it be if they just blindly hand over donations that might be misused?  i have a feeling that's actually what happened to make this change in procedure.  personally i'd like to think that the receivers wouldn't misuse it somehow.  and i've no doubt that Harry trusts the men and women who look after these kids to do the right thing with it too.  but still.

Quote from: mediastar on March 16, 2009, 01:30:32 PM
Too much money is spent on bureaucracy and non-essentials. More went on a website than on projects last year.
that's the thing.  none of that was from public donations.  newspapers made out that it was and even got the costs wrong and had to apologise for it.  so now they point out this paperwork and make out like its a bad thing that Sentebale is making sure the donations sent in are being used properly. 

and they are still at it!
Harry's charity saved from cash crisis by Tory donor Ashcroft--Evening Standard
QuoteIt was also revealed that Sentebale's director in Lesotho, Harper Brown, receives an annual salary and benefits package of between £90,000 and £100,000.
^not true!  i'm amazed and annoyed that the Evening Standard is repeating the false information about expenses that the Times had to apologise over in the first place. 
QuoteMarch 30, 2008 (link)
Geoffrey Matthews - apology

My item about charities last week wrongly stated the earnings of the chief executive of Prince Harry's charity Sentebale.

Geoffrey Matthews, the part-time chief executive, was paid £20,000 per annum, not in excess of £100,000 as was stated. My apologies to Mr Matthews for the error.
i mean, honestly. :cursingmad:  i know they like to tear apart Harry but why try to hurt his charity?  that's just wrong.

anywho....i think Sentebale's best move right now would be to get one of their employees who live in Lesotho to go to these charities and help them with the paperwork so they can at least be sure to avoid delays.  and therefor give ammunition to the press.

Tory donor supports Harry's charity--Press Association

Harryite #0004

drezzle

Prince Charles had guidance when he set up his charity.  Obviously he didn't think it important to offer Harry's charity similar guidance.

This is ridiculous.  As much experience as Charles has supposedly had with charities, there is no excuse for this, other than if he and Harry have none of the interaction or communication typically associated with a father and son.

Even then, Diana had a lot of experience with charities and the people that run them.  Harry couldn't get any direction from this department either?!!  Very strange.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Satrine

Drezzle, good points. It makes you wonder how close Charles and the boys really are or atleast Harry? Obviously Charles thinks enough of William to name a turtle after him, which is pretty funny. Maybe it has to do with being lower of the totem pole? I guess Harry just has to fend for himself?
"OUR LIVES BEGIN TO END THE DAY WE BECOME SILENT ABOUT THINGS THAT MATTER"

-MARTIN LUTHER KING

sillyjobug

Hasn't Stix just pointed out that the majority of the "problems" Sentebale had are not actually true? Most of the stuff the press has written is blind lies (and apparently they're still repeating it). I don't see how Charles could help Harry get better press, seeing as his own attempts at better press don't seem to work/be convincing.
Harryite #0094   

brittanylala

I wonder what Lord Ashcroft wants in return for his rather generous donation...Harry to marry one of his daughters?

Stix Chix

^ :teehee:  maybe.  he definitely isn't looking for a knighthood. ;)  seriously though.....he seems to genuinely care about Africa.  from what i understand this isn't his first generous donation to an African charity.

Quote from: drezzle on March 17, 2009, 09:21:48 AM
Prince Charles had guidance when he set up his charity.  Obviously he didn't think it important to offer Harry's charity similar guidance.  [...]  Even then, Diana had a lot of experience with charities and the people that run them.  Harry couldn't get any direction from this department either?!!
^none of the royals are in charge of the day to day running of their charities so i'm not sure how much insight into that Charles or Diana could give him.  any questions or guidance Harry needs so far as Sentebale goes i think would be better answered by the Sentebale staff....and looking at the "Our Team" section of the website i'd say they have a pretty experienced team. :happy:

Charles has lent a hand to the charity in that the London side of things is run from Clarence House.  it's not free rent (that could give him a tax issue i think) but its secure and certainly conveniently located. :laugh:  and of course Diana was one of the inspirations behind it.  so in their way i'd say his parents have had a hand in helping this along. :happy:  ultimately though Sentebale is Prince Seeiso and Harry's baby.

Lord Ashcroft digs deep for Prince Harry's charity--Professional Fundraising

Harryite #0004