Sentebale accused of not honouring pledge to abused African children

Started by Stix Chix, February 18, 2009, 01:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stix Chix

Prince Harry's charity accused of not honouring pledge to abused African children--Telegraph
QuoteThe Daily Telegraph can disclose that the financial situation is now so bleak that the board of the Lesotho Child Counselling Unit is to hold an emergency meeting on Thursday to consider a direct appeal to Prince Harry to intervene.

Sentebale, which supports 15 other organisations in Lesotho, has declined to hand over money because of an apparent unwillingness from the unit's management to give undertakings over the transparency of their financial procedures.  A source added: "All the other local organisations with which Sentebale works in Lesotho readily sign up to the same, basic levels of transparency."

i'm amazed both sides haven't been able to sort this out yet. :doh:  bet Harry is too.  i can understand the Sentebale needing all paper work in order....in fact i think its a good idea.  a couple years ago the money Sentebale was giving wasn't being used properly.  once bitten, twice shy.  but surely Sentebale can work something out....especially if its getting so serious.  if they cant rely on LCCU to get its act together why not buy food etc themselves and send it to them directly rather then send them money if they are worried about misuse?  if i were Harper Brown it's what i'd do...at least until the paperwork issue is sorted out.

the money is there and will be sent.  so why on Earth is LCCU dragging it's feet?

Harryite #0004

Allie

Haidee

I hope this is worked out soon so the money can get to the people who really need it. I understand that transparency is crucial for charitable funds as there are alot of crooked people/organisations out there, I just hope they can o something to help the other organisation out with accounting etc if they need it.

Stix Chix

Prince Harry's charity crisis--Monsters and Critics

i'm sure there is a lot more to this story then is being reported.  Sentebale is being made out to be the bad guy....but LCCU is the one dragging its feet.  which is weird.  why won't/can't they hand in the paperwork?  especially if things are so tight.

flies on the walls have no idea how good they've got it. ;)

Quote from: Haidee on February 18, 2009, 11:43:28 PMI just hope they can o something to help the other organisation out with accounting etc if they need it.
that would be a good idea.  maybe they do? 

i hope it gets resolved soon.  those kids have it bad enough without being taken from one place which cant care for them....only to be sent to another place that can't care for them. :notamused:

Harryite #0004

wannable

How hard is it to do paper work in extremely poor countries ? Very hard, almost but no so impossible.

Stix Chix

^just because they are poor doesn't mean they are backwards. :notamused:  the chairman of LCCU is a doctor.  would lack of a fax really keep them from getting Sentebale the info they need to proceed?  i sincerely hope not. 

Harryite #0004

wannable

They may have a fax with a telephone in the middle of nowhere but their "organisation" papers within that poor country might lack something and that means no funds. 

I live in Southamerica since many years ago and have travelled to the poorest nations...I've seen the above happen. Best intentions, but I understand you can't donate the $ if the NGO has out of the 10 "local" laws to function lets say 1 not "actualized". That is a set back. Then comes the lets try to fix that 1 problem and here enters the local government bureaucracy.

I just tend to give away my baggage, buy with whomever group I'm travelling with the basic abc nutrients and volunteer cook: spaghetti for the very hungry, they all have weight and skin problems; Bolivia, Honduras, Paraguay, Nicaragua in that order, the rest of Central and Southamerican countries are regular to very good, 1 in excellent monetary position.

Lesotho has Aids in the majority of its population...which is worst.

Hale

I am trying to find the article in the London Evening Standard, but apparently they're supposed to have apologised to Prince Harry for what they wrote.  I do not suscribe to the Royalist, but take a look at the bit I did find.

PS.  Sorry guy's, I don't understand it, but I am unable to provide the link.  Do take a look at The Royalist home page anyway.