Caught on tape: Infamous gaffes: Prince Philip

Started by Wombat, September 20, 2006, 05:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

Caught on tape: Infamous gaffes: Prince Philip  ~ BBC

QuoteIn Britain the Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Elizabeth's husband, is notorious for making jokes that might offend the recipient and make bystanders cringe - many of them based on old-fashioned racial stereotypes

blue eyes

I guess I have a bad humor because I think Prince Philip is hilarious  :happytears: People take things way to serious and get offended easily these days   ;) People seem to be able to make jokes but not take them well.  I guess it is okay when it is pointed at soemone else.
Though I do have to say that some of the comments they talked in the article were not nice and not jokes  :gaah:
As for Phillip he isnt' as cruel as people make him out to be  :thumbsup:

Wombat

dizzylizzy13

Sorry, but what's the difference between consistently making jokes based on racial stereotypes and being racist?
I guess there's a huge difference, as long as one person in the room is laughing?

blue eyes

it is okay to make a joke about a stereotype...not talk nasty about people and put them in a stereotype.  so yes..there is a difference.  I have been called lots of racial things and had people talk about where I am from and my heritage..most of it I don't get offended by because I know people don't have a malicious intent...some of it is offensive I have just learned to differentiate between hate and joking
And I don't know why it is okay for comedians who get made lots of money to say the same thing..they get their own shows and go on sold out tours.. :shrug: I guess it is okay for some but not others  :cry:

Wombat

I don't find racial slurs humourous at all...I do find Prince Philip quite witty at times :thumbsup:

I don't know how he's makes racially based jokes all the time..he usually pokes fun of his own family -_-

blue eyes

yeah racial jokes aren't funny but some stereotype jokes are  :happytears: if if they are about me  :shrug:

Wombat

Don't I know it..I get hairy smelly wombat ones all the time :gaah:

blue eyes

see there is some truth to stereotypes  :happytears:

dizzylizzy13

I think  that it's a bit hypocritical to attack a member in another thread for daring to suggest that some -- but not all -- members of the RF might not be the most racially enlightened or progressive people around ...  and yet turn around and find a man who makes jokes "many of them based on old fashioned racial stereotypes" witty.
So, it's not okay for a member of this Forum to make assumptions based on stereotypes but it's fine for Phil because he's old and a little goofy and married to the Queen? And the difference between a racial slur and a stereotype about a "slitty eyed Chinaman" is what exactly?

Wombat

<_< No one attacked you...you were saying things that were verging on defamation....read number 3

This story has highlighted only a few tasteless quotes that he's made WHICH ARE NOT..I REPEAT ARE NOT FUNNY...this story is only focussing on the more controversial quotes he's made, where as I was commenting on other things he has said...

"We live in what virtually amounts to a museum -- which does not happen to a lot of people."....."I must confess that I am interested in leisure in the same way that a poor man is interested in money"..."The art of being a good guest is to know when to leave".... "I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.".... "Dontopedology is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it"...."All money nowadays seems to be produced with a natural homing instinct for the Treasury."..... "The biggest waste of water in the country is when you spend half a pint and flush two gallons."...    "When a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."

The man is over 80 and by god if he hasn't been around long enough for his comments to become fodder for the media...

If you have any other personal snipes to make then feel free to take it to pm.

dizzylizzy13

Thanks, Wombat for your clarification.
But if we're going to adhere so strictly to Rule No. 3 then most of the KM and Camilla Threads would have to be shut down?

Wombat

dizzylizzy13

Where would most of us post then as many of us write things that could be deemed "damaging to someone's reputation" about Camilla and Kate?

Wombat

Oh really?

If you'd like to continue this then I'd be happy to discuss it in PMS!

M

:blink:

:unsure:

My two cents: A lot of older people aren't as politically correct, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are racists.

Moreover, a lot of minorities make jokes about people of other races.  I think it's pretty common to snicker about racial differences and stereotypes.  It can get dicey, but I do maintain that it can be doe without being racist.   :shrug:
:kisskiss:

traciebelle

Quote"The biggest waste of water in the country is when you spend half a pint and flush two gallons."...   

That's true.. :happy:  :lol:

Chelsyite#0005
Dianaite#0004
Cheeseite #0002

tatianacocoroyalty

QuoteRarely one to guard his tongue while on walkabout, he also became famous for his diplomatic ?gaffes?. In China, he was heard to remark to a student, ?If you stay here too long you will become slitty eyed.? To the president of Nigeria, wearing traditional robes, he said, ?You look like you?re ready for bed!? To an Australian aboriginal chieftain, ?Do you chaps still chuck spears at each other?? To a British student trekking in Papua New Guinea, ?So you managed not to get eaten then?? To a Scottish driving instructor, ?How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?? And on the subject of class, ?People think there?s a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.?

Eade, Philip. Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II (Kindle Locations 71-75). Henry Holt and Co.. Kindle Edition.